The Merle B. Karnes Award for Service to the Division is given to a DEC member who has made a significant contribution to the Division in areas of leadership, service, research, advocacy, or publications. The award is given in honor of Dr. Merle Karnes who served the Division of Early Childhood for many years as a member of the Executive Board and as the founder and first editor of the Journal for Early Intervention.
Nominees for the Merle B. Karnes award shall meet the following criteria:
- Be a member of DEC for at least five consecutive years at the time of award.
- Have made notable and significant contributions to the Division or its members in the areas of leadership, service, research, advocacy, or publications. These contributions should be national or international in scope or impact and be consistent with the overall goals of DEC.
The individual honored with this award will receive: a plaque during the opening ceremony of the International DEC Conference on Young Children with Special Needs and Their Families and complimentary conference registration.
To nominate an individual for the Merle B. Karnes award
1. Read the nomination criteria above.
2. Prepare a nomination portfolio, which contains:
- letter of nomination indicating the award for which the person is being nominated and an overview of the individual’s accomplishments related to the criteria established for the award
- two additional letters of nomination
- the individual’s resume or vita
Nominations are due July 15, 2013. Email nomination portfolios to firstname.lastname@example.org.